2016- Ten Best



This year I was lucky- out of the 51 books I read there were only three that I can say I truly didn't like. That means it was tougher than most years to choose my favorites, but I think I managed to narrow it down. In no particular order:

1. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff- I rarely use the word "epic," but that's the best word to describe this. 

2. Euphoria by Lily King- This story loosely based on Margaret Mead is fascinating.

3. The Girls by Emma Cline- This dark story heavily influenced by the Manson story is disturbing but addictive. I think I read it in two days this past summer. 

4. Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett- I think most of us have dealt with mental health issues in some form of another, whether personally or via family or friends, so this book will hit close to home on some level. Haslett writes a heartbreaking account of a family that must come to terms with the both public and private demons. 

5. Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley- This book was a little silly and an "easy," but it I loved the sentimental nature and the relationship between Lily and Ted. The magical realism/dream element at the end was also a fun touch. 

6. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie- Adichie's short essays are powerful, insightful, and blatantly honest. 

7. Purity by Jonathan Franzen- This was my first Franzen novel and I appreciated how widespread this one was, both in terms of the variances of character and setting. 

8. The Sellout by Paul Beatty- This satirical look at racial dynamics was hilarious, thought-provoking, and timely. 

9. Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer- Foer's long-awaited novel was met with mixed reviews, but I enjoyed the humor and detailed look at the dynamics of a failing marriage. 

10. The Mothers by Brit Bennett- I just finished this one a few days ago and loved her handling of abortion and the impact it has on all parties involved. Bennet's debut was written beautifully, with a healthy dose of sass. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Euphoria and push it on random strangers and coworkers more than I care to admit. It's also nice to see Purity on someone else's list - Franzen is so divisive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fates and Furies is one I really want to get to in 2017. I read The Girls in 2016 and really liked it. Look forward to see what she does next!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS